LinkedIn’s big redesign, manipulatable film, Boeing’s flying car, machines that discriminate, and photoshopping with Kendall Jenner. Here’s the best links of the week!
Ripples is a curated collection of the best links that Making Waves have read, shared, and discussed in the past week. Check out the updated list every Monday!
THREE OF THE BEST
- All experience shows that it is pretty difficult to predict the future. For example, nobody predicted the iPhone or that it would lead to a digital revolution. Ben Evans explains that we are asking the wrong questions, not getting the wrong answers.
- If you like content that is a mixture of nonsense, art, and technology, then you’re going to like astronaut.io – short snippets of YouTube videos from around the world in an endless fashion. Which YouTube videos? The ones that no-one has seen.
- Solace is a fun interactive movie about a near future where marketing and addiction are disturbingly intertwined.
10 DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY LINKS
- LinkedIn has received its biggest redesign in 15 years. And it looks similar to Facebook. The roll out will happen in a few weeks so don’t worry – for now your profile will look the same.
- How designers should think about SVG.
- New redesign of The New York Times.
- The artist behind Obama’s iconic ‘Hope’ poster has worked diligently for protests amidst Trump’s inauguration.
- The Netflix trailer for ‘The art of design’, a documentary about … well, design!
- The current state of adaptive design
- A Salesforce model for scaling a design system
- Design Tool Figma lets you work completely simultaneously
- Mozilla’s updated, crowd-sourced identity has launched
- Design Guidelines – a collection of publicly accessible design principles for famous brands
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND INSIGHTS TO THE FUTURE
- Airbus plans to test self-driven flying taxi by the end of the year!
- What will be the world’s biggest website in 2030?
- Future robots will stop you getting insurance. Learn how machines learn prejudice.
- McKinsey predicts that automation will create much more growth than traditional IT.
- Stanford’s Dr Fei Fei Li lectures on artificial intelligence
- What we need in the coming years are cars with a user interface that we understand. And only Apple can give this to us, says Ben Evans.
APPS AND TOOLS
- Slack launches threaded messaging – private stands of groups that you communicate within.
- Practice pitching your idea to Pitchbot
- Google maps now shows available parking places
- Publishers working with Google and Facebook are like frogs in boiling water
- Snapchat is launching a universal search to make it easier to find your friends
COURSES AND CONFERENCES
- IA Summit: Designing for humans
- Enterprise UX Virtual Summit 2017
- Harvard’s photography course is now free to take online
OTHER FUN STUFF
- This guy can not stop photoshopping himself into Kendall Jenner’s Instagram pics.
- David Bowie predicted the effect of the internet – in 1999
- 2017’s least surprising news: hipsters have started buying cassette tapes
- Thank you, Obama! Tumblr has gathered some highlights from the last 8 years.
Have a good week!