All about Snapchat’s big week, electric bikes to compete with electric cars, Mike Monteiro’s opinions on designer’s ethical responsibility, and photography tips for iPhone 7. Here are the best links this week!
Their growth, or lack thereof, is dissapointing. Snapchat’s current daily user count is 166 million, a weak increase since December, when the figure was 161 million. In April, the Snapchat-modelled Instagram Stories already had 200 million users. Many view Facebook and Facebook-owned Instagram as strong competitors to Snapchat, but Snap boss Evan Spiegel laughed away claims that Facebook was a threat.
- Important to point out is that 46% of all those using Snapchat are not on Instagram. And these users are often young and attractive to advertisers.
- Snapchat, like all other current social media, is putting its bet on TV content.
- There are some new features for Snapchat, one being removing the time limit for snaps, if the sender wishes. Here are a few other great, completely fresh Snapchat changes:
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY
- Future-focused companies in 2017 invest more in innovation and less in marketing, said Daniel Pallozzi and Robin Copland
- Electric bikes will compete with electric cars, believes Horace Dediu
- The latest Windows version does not allow you to switch web browser or search engine
- Microsoft’s Build Conference is running and streaming live
- Randy Shoup: Effective microservices in a data-centric world
- A nice, manipulatable website from Nick Jones
- AWS Device Farm lets you test on Android, iOS and web apps at the same time
- Big tech companies are dropping their Apple Watch apps
- Slack’s updated search helps find the right team member to answer your question
OTHER THINGS OF INTEREST
- The main inspiration for the TV series Mad Men, David Ogilvy, gave some rules for business – in 1968 – and they still ring true today
- Mike Monteiro reminds us that there is no design without ethics
- Two-factor identification via SMS has been hacked
- Apple shows you how to take great shots with iPhone 7
- Beautiful small interactive animations with Moments (see the logo of the week)
Have a great week!